That title led me to wonder what seven things do I want people to know about being a poet? I’ll write my list below. Then, you write one. Please post it in the comments or provide a link in the comments to your blog post about this subject.
- Writing is addictive.
- Few will understand why you write poetry since it’s not lucrative.
- If you find those who do understand, consider marrying them.
- Writing is meditation at times.
- You will surprise yourself with your choosiness regarding pencils and pens.
- You’ll get really tired of the “Is Poetry Dead?” debate.
- Come November of every year, you’ll start asking everyone: “Are you going to AWP?”